Community development activities should be based on a commitment to the following principles:
- Empowerment – increasing the ability of individuals and groups to influence issues that affect them and their communities
- Participation – supporting people to take part in decision making
- Inclusion, equality of opportunity and anti-discrimination – recognising that some people may need additional support to overcome barriers they face
- Self determination – supporting the right of people to make their own choices
- Partnership – recognising that many agencies can contribute to community development.
(adapted from Working and Learning Together to Build Stronger Communities (Communities Scotland))