The Joseph Rowntree Foundation’s ‘We can solve poverty in the UK’ is the most comprehensive strategy of its kind to set out how to solve poverty across all groups in the UK. It sets out recommendations on how all of us can act to solve poverty. Their five-point plan to solve poverty in the UK will:
- Boost incomes and reduce costs;
- Deliver an effective benefit system;
- Improve education standards and raise skills;
- Strengthen families and communities; and
- Promote long-term economic growth benefiting everyone.
Their vision is to make the UK fit for the children starting school this year – so that by the time they enter adulthood in 2030, they will be living in a UK where:
- No one is ever destitute;
- Less than one in ten of the population are in poverty at any one time; and
- Nobody is in poverty for more than two years.
A further report, UK poverty: Causes, costs and solutions, presents the evidence that went into the strategy.