In its ‘Manifesto for Stronger Scottish Democracy’ COSLA says the next Scottish Parliament should put local communities more in control. So COSLA is calling on every candidate to commit to delivering five key pledges within the first 100 days of their election:
- Make Scotland’s public services local, through an immediate review to localise and simplify how all public services are governed and made accountable to communities.
- Redraw the partnership between local and national government, beginning with a summit to deliver a new framework.
- Give communities financial choices, by putting local control at the heart of local taxation.
- Open up Scottish democracy, by joining COSLA in establishing a constitutional convention to design a new approach to accountability.
- Join up thinking on reform, by focusing the debate on local outcomes not sound bites.