Following on from an initial programme of engagement centred the Scottish Government has launched a formal consultation on draft Strategic Police Priorities, open until 16 August 2016.
The proposed new priorities are:
- Ensure that the needs of communities are understood and reflected in the planning and delivery of policing
- Ensure the police service works to prevent crime and reduce fear of crime through education, partnership, innovation and communication, placing particular focus on the need to address inequalities within and between communities
- Focus policing on keeping people safe by tackling crime and responding to and investigating incidents effectively and efficiently
- Ensure that the police service works collaboratively with partners at both a local and national level to deliver better outcomes for people in Scotland
- Maintain public confidence in policing and inspire trust by being transparent, accountable and acting with integrity, fairness and respect
- Ensure the police service is able to take advantage of new opportunities and meet emerging threats and challenges.