As part of the Scottish Government’s programme of themed years, 2018 will be the Year of Young People. The Scottish Government commissioned Children in Scotland, the Scottish Youth Parliament and Young Scot to work with young people to co-design recommendations for the Year. Their recommended themes are:
- Participation – looking at how young people can influence public services and decisions which affect their lives.
- Education – creating a stronger role for young people in shaping their learning.
- Health and Wellbeing –supporting young people to lead healthier, active lives and have opportunities to learn about and improve their mental health and resilience.
- Equality and Discrimination – broadcasting the value of young Scots, challenging negative perceptions of young people, and supporting young people to take leading roles in challenging discrimination in all its forms.
The 2018 Year of Young People Advisory Board added two further themes:
- Enterprise and Regeneration – celebrating young people’s role in innovation, entrepreneurship and the Scottish economy as well as making Scotland a greener and more pleasant place to live
- Culture –celebrating young people’s talent and contribution to Scottish culture and