In this report, SCVO demonstrate the difficulties and intricacies of local funding for much of the third sector.In brief:
- If the funding situation for the sector continues as at present, much of the sector will be unable to continue its work
- All local and regional bodies must improve their processes and their funding systems so that the third sector can function to the best of the ability.
- Much time and energy is expended by organisations on seeking funding to stay afloat. This is time that could be better spent on achieving an organisation’s aims – delivering for communities.
- Much funding does not allow for long-term projects or planning, meaning regular stress and upheaval for organisations, communities and individuals.
- It is not, generally, large pots of money that are required, but rather a change in funding terms and processes – including recognising full project costs and core costs. Supportive staff at funder organisations can also help here.