This research examines the nature and extent of volunteering participation and attitudes towards volunteering among young people (aged 11-18 years). Summary Report Full Report
- Youth volunteering participation has grown to 52%, nearly double the adult figure of 27%.
- Youth volunteering is much more inclusive than expected:
- The proportion of young people who volunteer in school time in the most deprived areas is the same as the least deprived areas (both 33%).
- Volunteering participation by young people with a physical or mental health condition is greater than young people generally (61%).
- However, there are still significant challenges;
- Volunteering participation outside school declines dramatically in areas of deprivation.
- Volunteering is highest in rural compared to urban areas (65% vs. 49%).
- Girls are significantly more engaged in volunteering than boys (58% vs. 46%).